Company history


1904

Late in the year, Franz Grötz founded his construction company in Hörden. His activities first spanned the new and re-construction of homes. Soon there were also orders from Gaggenau’s industry.


1913

Construction of the first turnkey homes.


1918

Numerous private homes in Murgtal are built. School expansions, the construction of canalisation, sewage plants as well as business buildings for industry and commerce are carried out.


1919

Relocation to Gaggenau and acquisition of a stone quarry. Up to five cart horses in duo transport the building material. 6 stone crushers and 2 stone masons are permanently employed.


1922

In Gaggenau the woodland cemetery with chapel comes into being.


1923

Work as sub-contractor for the construction of the first bridge over the Murg river, at the Merkur inn.


1924

The first lorry begins operating. The case hardening shop is established. The production of single-piece cement pipes begins.


1927

Acquisition of a limestone plant in Kuppenheim, near Rastatt. 400 sacks of lime are produced daily. The first stationary concrete mixing plant and the first motor-driven construction site mixers and pumps are used.


1929

In Gaggenau the city hotel is built. The woodland lake spa is built as an emergency measure. 3/4 of the turnover is achieved at the construction sites and 1/4 by stationary operations and construction material business.


1933

Beginning of the housing developments in Gaggenau and Ottenau, together with on-going industrial development. Ernst Grötz, son of the company founder, joins the company. The first winches for laying pipework begin operating.


1936

Works outing in May, around 110 employees. The transport fleet now includes two lorries, two cars and a team of horses. Orders are carried out within the scope of armament.


1940

Reduction in the number of employees from 180 to 75. Railway projects in Karlsruhe and Mannheim and different industrial projects are carried out. The photo shows the construction of an air raid bunker at the main train station in Karlsruhe.


1946

Beginning of rebuilding with around 100 employees. Production of cement tiles on three manual machines. Production of bricks from slags in Langenbrand, in the Murg valley.


1947

According to the balance at the time of re-opening there were now 13 concrete mixers, two Diesel locomotives and 17 carriages, four conveyor belts, six construction hoists, three compressors, 10 pumps, two cars and three lorries with trailer.


1950

170 employees. Acquisition of a new cable excavator (DEMAG). Large-scale bridge construction over the Murg River in Rastatt and Gaggenau and on the new Karlsruhe-Basel autobahn. Production of the GRÖTZ hollow body covers begins.


1952

Bridge construction in the course of continued construction of the Karlsruhe – Basel autobahn over the section Bruchhausen to Gundelfingen, near Freiburg. The first bulldozer is purchased from Hanomag. 300 persons are employed.


1955

520 employees. Expansion of business to include road construction. First large-scale road construction order: widening the Alb Valley road from Frauenalb to Herrenalb. Interests in the Karl Degler GmbH & Co. KG construction company in Baden-Baden.


1957

Construction of the new city hall in Gaggenau. On 23 December the company founder Franz Grötz dies aged 78.


1962

Beginning of module construction and the first GRÖTZ prefabricated garage production at the Gaggenau plant. Construction of bridges in the vicinity of the German federal railway in Karlsruhe. Founding of a subsidiary for garage production in Flörsheim.


1963

Construction of the new asphalt mixing plant in Bietigheim, near Rastatt. Construction of a semi-automatic casting yard in Schwalbach for the production of prefabricated reinforced concrete homes. Construction of the "Limes" residential estate near Frankfurt for the Nassauische Heimstätte consortium.


1965

The largest bridge construction to date, with a length of 135 metres, begins between Walldorf and Nußloch. Besides roadway and bridge construction civil engineering projects, predominantly sewer systems, are continually carried out.


1966

New building of the Stadtsparkasse Gaggenau.


1970

Aerial photo of the one-time train station and concrete plant in Froschgrabenweg from 1970. 560 persons are employed at GRÖTZ in Gaggenau and 70 persons in Flörsheim, near Frankfurt.


1971

Beginning of construction for the new production sites with construction yard and cement plant in the Gaggenau-Bad Rotenfels industrial park. The first heated, hydraulically-operated formwork is used for the serial production of garages.


1972

Relocation from the old construction yard to Franz-Grötz-Straße, with beginning of room module, pre-fabricated concrete part production and ancillary operations.


1975

Construction of the Chamber of Commerce Training Centre in Karlsruhe. Production of the first fibre-reinforced concrete construction elements. Georg Grötz, son of Ernst Grötz, joins the company. The company now employs 690 persons.


1976

Production of the Grötherm insulating material, plasters and styrofoam begins in the Gaggenau-Bad Rotenfels industrial park. The company name is changed to Franz Grötz GmbH & Co. KG Bauunternehmung.


1977

The turnkey sewage treatment plant project in Gaggenau-Bad Rotenfels is carried out. In Breisach, near Freiburg, pre-fabricated garage production begins 10 employees.


1979

830 persons are now employed in GRÖTZ company group. The Fraunhofer Institute Centre is built in Stuttgart-Vaihingen. The transport and machinery fleet includes more than 100 utility vehicles and 40 large-scale machines.


1986

Beginning of the new Concrete Restoration and Building Preservation business sector. Expansion of Southwest German Radio in Baden-Baden.


1991

Introduction of the current company logo. Purchase of a concrete plant with 36 employees in the East German city of Kemberg. Construction of the Mercedes-Benz plant in Rastatt begins.


1992

Founding of GRÖTZ Bauunternehmung in Gröbers, between Leipzig and Halle. 30 years of GRÖTZ pre-fabricated garages. The 125,000th pre-fabricated garage is delivered.


1996

Development of the BSO/MK superstructure form (vibration protection for railway lines). ‏Founding of a plant in Częstochowa, Poland for the production of reinforced concrete pre-fabricated garages, transformer stations GSM/UMTS radio signal stations.


1997

Acquisition of the E. Nesselhauf company in Bühl-Vimbuch. Development of high-absorption noise abatement walls and production of pre-fabricated concrete elements.


2000

Acquisition of Bürki AG Bauunternehmung in Switzerland.


2002

GRÖTZ has 530 employees. The BSO/MK superstructure form is certified for installation on railway lines and its production begins.


2003

Acquisition of a landfill operation in Weingarten (REZ Weingarten), between Karlsruhe and Bruchsal. Development of high-absorption steel noise abatement walls for roadway and railway construction. The company name is changed to Grötz GmbH & Co. KG.


2004

100-year anniversary of the company founding. Due to the integration of the commercial and technical departments, the main administration at 19 in Gaggenau is enlarged and re-designed.


2005

Founding of the GRÖTZ-Polska construction company in Częstochowa, Poland. Production of the first bridge structures, and bridge refurbishment projects in Poland.


2008

Acquisition of the pre-fabricated concrete garage manufacturer "Betonwerk Malsch", near Karlsruhe. Christian Grötz, son of Georg Grötz, joins the company.


2010

Founding of the Stuttgart subsidiary in Denkendorf. Construction of the Recycling and Disposal Centre in the Karlsruhe Rhine harbour (REZ Karlsruhe).


2011

Acquisition of the Kieswerk Schertle sand and gravel plant in Bietigheim, near Rastatt. Opening of the REZ Karlsruhe by MinERALiX GmbH. Around 500 persons are employed throughout the GRÖTZ company group.

 
Mainpage | Imprint | Contact | Sitemap | General terms and conditions of business | 
facebook | Search | Drucken | INTRANET